Festival Phenomena’s 10th edition (October 12th to 22nd 2021)
Contract encompassing approximately 300 hours of work from April 1st to October 30th
Salary: 10 000$
The Diversity Commissionner’s presence will be required during the Festival
By diversity we mean visible minorities, people who are Indigenous, People of Colour, people with disabilities and/or people who identify themselves as part of the LGBTQ+ community.
We are looking for a candidate who self-identifies within the previous definition of diversity and who has at least 5 years of experience in artistic direction, in event organization or as a commissioner. The position’s mandate is to support the Festival’s progression to ensure diversity within its programming and to evaluate the process itself while respecting the Festival’s mission and history.
Les Filles électriques and Phenomena Festival is looking to hire an independent Commissionner in order to further its programming of artists within the definition of diversity. The Commissionner will be invited to collaborate with the Artistic Director on part of the programming and to present their ideas and opinions regarding ongoing procedures.
Since its creation, Phenomena Festival (similarly to its predecessor Festival Voix d’Amériques) embraces within its mission a pursuit for cultural diversity as well as openness to a multiplicity of artistic practices. Over the years we have presented more than a hundred Indigenous artists, PoC artists, queer artists, and artists with disabilities; we have contributed to their professional development and artistic expansion. The Festival strives to be a place of gathering for artists and audiences of different communities, belonging to different identities and generations. It is also a place of discovery and of sharing that promotes a better understanding of what makes us different and what unites us.
For Phenomena’s 10th edition, the Diversity Commissioner will have as their mandate:
- Program and coordinate at least 2 shows (cabaret, performance, happening, etc.);
- Design and organize at least 2 mediation events that will offer a place for exchange between artists of diversity and wider audiences;
- Design and organize at least 2 activities for the professional development of artists within the definition of diversity;
- Participate in the 10th edition of Festival Phenomena and produce critical feedback;
- Make recommendations to further the company’s inclusive practices.
Qualifications and candidate profile
- To belong to one or many of the communities mentioned within the definition of diversity;
- At least 5 years of professional experience in artistic direction, event organization, or as a commissioner;
- Proficient knowledge and active interest for artists from diverse communities;
- Commitment to contributing towards dialogues with audiences;
- Thoroughness, curiosity, adaptability when facing unforeseen circumstances and the ability to work equally well alone as in a team;
- Excellent mastery of French and English, both spoken and written.
Please forward a personalized letter of intent (mandatory) and a curriculum vitae to the attention of D. Kimm at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 10th 2021 at the latest. We wholeheartedly thank all candidates who send us their application. Only those selected will be contacted.